Sunday, February 16, 2014

“Speak to us en inglés”

Connections


“Speak to us en inglés". This sentence sounds all too familiar to me but instead of inglés I hear “Speak to us en espanol” Every Monday and Wednesday night I know exactly how Richard Rodriguez feels. Like probably every other RIC student I’m required to take at least two semesters of a foreign language. This year I’ve been busy fulfilling this requirement with Spanish 101 and Spanish 102.



After having taken Spanish 101 last semester, I thought returning to Spanish again this semester would be a fairly easy transition. However I was entirely all wrong. “Speak up. Speak to the entire class, not just me!” All these phases that Rodriguez recalls the nuns saying to him in Catholic School seem identical to those of my Spanish professor. Walking into Spanish class is somewhat intimidating. I sit in the back of the class so as not to be detected when class participation begins. Hiding behind my laptop screen I silently pray that my name isn’t called. The thought of potentially not understanding her questions and looking like a fool in front of the class crosses my mind every time her eyes scan the room for her next participant.
               When reading Aria, by Richard or should I say “Ricardo” according to page 35, Rodriguez I couldn’t help but identify with the feelings that Rodriguez describes on the first page when he talks about speaking in class. When I’m in Spanish class I feel alienated, like I have no clue what’s going on. I can only assume that that’s what Rodriguez must have felt like during the beginning of his schooling before he was fully able to comprehend English. Because the reading was so short I found that it was easy to quickly read through the passage without fully taking into account just how much Rodriguez’s life changed that day the nuns came to visit his parents. To me that was like thinking if my Spanish professor came to my house and told my parents I wasn’t participating enough and that I need to start speaking Spanish at home too. I would be mortified. The two hours I spend in class is terrifying enough to try and speak a different language, let alone trying to do it all day, even at home where you’re supposed to feel relaxed and have time with your family. I guess the point I’m trying to get at is that even though English is my first language and I’ve never had a problem with speaking in my regular classes, my experiences in my Spanish classes have given me an insight as to some of the emotions that Rodriguez must have been experiencing throughout his early schooling. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been. 


While on Huffington Post I stumbled upon this article that discusses language in schools, I wonder would Richard Rodriguez would have to say about it: 

7 comments:

  1. First of all, I'm in love with your blog! I love your background and the fonts!
    But I just wanted to say I love how you compared Rodriguez's story to your own life in Spanish class. I feel completely the same way! I'm in Spanish right now and can relate to everything you were saying! I would also be mortified if my Spanish teacher came to my house and was talking to my parents. If I ever had to speak Spanish at home, I would be so upset. I love learning a second language but I would never like to feel uncomfortable at home by speaking Spanish when no one at my house knows how. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen, I just wanted to say that I love the point you made on your post! You applied everything Rodriguez said about his article to something you can personally relate to, along with many other people in our class. You even took it a step further when you spoke about how you feel alienated in Spanish class, not understanding what is going on sometimes. Rodriguez explains in his story that he felt the exact same way, but towards the English language, so it is a really great example on your part. I can tell you really took a lot from this article, as I did. Great job!!! Never thought of it this way until now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen! I loved your blog this week, and my blog is actually an extended comment on your blog! I love how you expressed you uneasiness in Spanish classes. I've felt the same way. Your blog allowed me to connect the article to the experiences in my own life. Thank you for sharing! PS love the set up of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jen! I really liked your post. Your connection to the text was awesome and it really showed that you knew how Richard Rodriguez felt he was younger and was just beginning to learn a foreign language. Overall good post this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you! I have to take Italian class. I sit there lost some days and I just can't wait to get it over with. But on the good days I love it. I think its good that we are required to take a language. It gives us a chance to learn new words even if we don't get the whole sentences down! good post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jen! This is an amazing post. I'm in Spanish 101 and I absolutely hate it. I actually have people trying to help me at work and its still not working. So my mom now sits with me and tryst to help me, granted she does not know a word of the language yet she's still trying to help me. It kind of mimics Richards story in an opposite world. Great Post Again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete